Iron Mountain®Content Classification Service

Topics: Govern Information

Download PDF

Business Challenge

Like most, you have legacy inventory stored both in-house and with vendors that is not classified to your current retention schedule nor being retained according to legal, regulatory or business requirements. Without knowing what’s eligible for destruction, you can’t defensibly destroy them. You’ve thought about destroying records on the basis of age, but some records may have legal holds or permanent retention requirements. Worse, portions of your records are being managed under differing schedules, which creates a dangerous compliance gap. Part of your day is spent looking for information you aren’t sure you have. And your in-house record centers may be nearing capacity, but you don’t have insights to figure out what can be moved to cold storage to create space without impacting serviceability and operating costs.

Industry Fact

71% of companies could reduce their storage costs by 30% if they knew what they could destroy.


How This Affects You:

  • You may have trouble finding what you need and experience increasing discovery costs if your records are poorly indexed.
  • You could be paying more than necessary for storage if records not classified to your retention schedule cannot be destroyed.
  • You risk creating compliance gaps if older records are not managed according to policy.
  • You won’t be able to make informed decisions about use of space if you don’t have business insights about your inventory.

What If You Could:

  • Search quickly and accurately for your information?
  • Classify and defensibly destroy the records you no longer need?
  • Easily reconcile your legacy records to your retention schedule?
  • Know which types of records are likely to remain active as they age?

Content Classification

Unique to Iron Mountain, our Content Classification service leverages a classification rules database built up and enhanced over time as a result of storing information for many clients over the years. You’ll know which records, whether stored onsite or offsite, can be immediately and eventually destroyed through our proprietary retention management feature that systematically calculates destruction eligibility according to your retention policies.

Our experienced staff can work with your organization to help configure, develop, and apply hold codes to records that are impacted by preservation orders. And you’ll get help normalizing and updating metadata, making it more consistent and improving accessibility. You can also leverage our specialized retrieval activity analysis of onsite records to determine what makes financial sense to move offsite in order to free up space, all dramatically enhancing the overall health of your inventory.

Customer Success

A large, multinational corporation that provides information technology services and professional services needed to implement broader retention requirements for its global records and information management (RIM) program. By working with Iron Mountain, the organization made quick progress addressing retention requirements for 180,000 boxes of physical records stored at Iron Mountain and elsewhere. They categorized around 80 percent of those boxes using the Iron Mountain® Content Classification service and devised legally defensible disposal criteria for the remaining 20 percent that had been sent to storage with little to no metadata, which the company had almost no knowledge of or visibility into its contents.

What You Gain

  • Reduced volume of legacy records and storage costs.
  • Ability to find what you need more easily.
  • Better use of time and improved service responsiveness.
  • Confidence during legal events and audits.
  • Knowledge to support space management recommendations and business cases.

The Results

  • Successfully destroyed more than 55,000 boxes of records.
  • Savings of more than $150,000 in year-over-year storage fees.
  • Quick progress reducing records stored offsite helped gain senior leadership’s approval of more investment to continue advancing its RIM program.


Document Workflow Consulting
Document Workflow Consulting

Through Document Workflow Consulting, Iron Mountain helps you assess how well your current document management environment is supporting core business needs. We then help you redesign your document management workflows to achieve key goals such as streamlining business processes, integrating paper and electronic records, enhancing compliance, and reducing document management costs and complexity.

The Positive Effects of Information Management
The Positive Effects of Information Management

Evidence shows that in today’s business environment, most companies take a reactive approach to information management — choosing to implement the proper measures only after an event has revealed a weakness and created the need for improvement.